I Am Sensitive

I Am Sensitive

Thursday, November 8, 2012

My New TV and Eidiladha in Tangkak


Dear Diary, 

I bought a new television a month ago and my room has not been quiet ever since. I now have more entertainment and things to do in my room. The last time when my old television was broken, I only had my laptop and iPad as a friend. It sure feels good to have a television back in the room. It adds more spice and flavour. But then again, I have been going to bed late and I often dozed off while the television is on. I guess it is true what the experts say about bedrooms; avoid having a television in bedrooms as it can cause one to turn in late and this will eventually makes one lacking in sleep. I would like to heed that advice however I never want to take my bedroom as literally a bedroom. My bedroom is also my sanctuary at home; a place where I escape from family dramas if there is ever any.

I could put off the idea of buying the new television but I have to admit that I am a little financially sound than before and so I thought I would indulge. I have set aside some money to save for the business and soon I know I will have enough to start it. I had come up with a brilliant idea on how to boost my savings. I am not sure how it will work but it will definitely speed up the waiting period. I have been looking out for any stalls up for rent in the newspaper religiously. I am excited as I know my dreams will come true eventually however, I am a little nervous about it all. I am afraid of failing again. I cannot help but to feel that way.

I suppose I have failed many times to the extent I think failures have become my flesh and blood. As much as I am happy and all pumped up to start the business, I am still remembering my past failures. I have asked myself will it work this time or will it just be the same like the old times. I do not know but deep down inside my heart, I hope and wish that it would be a success because if I fail again this time, I am not sure if I am able to move on from there.  I read somewhere that failure is an event, never a person and there is no failure except in no longer trying but I know those are all motivational talk to brainwash you. I am ready for it but I am afraid of the reality. Am I contradicting myself now? I hope not but I promise you, I will make it work.  

Mother and I have talked a bit in Tangkak during Eidiladha but it just stopped there. I did not know what happened but I thought all was good when we were there. We did not really have long conversations but we did talk. There were many relatives there, the house was crowded with people, and we are the host of the event and the property owner. Perhaps communicating with each other was necessary there. My aunties cooked therefore, the food and drinks need to be served. In this kind of family thing, the host plays the most important role.

There were hiccups here and there but everything was great. I got a little irritated and dissapointed with some of the relatives. I guess in events like this we get to see people’s real colour and character. Who is the laziest, penny-pinching, generous, annoying or the hardworking person? It somewhat makes me agree that our most basic instinct is not for survival but for family.  Most of us would give our own life for the survival of a family member, yet we lead our daily life too often as if we take our family for granted. Some of them contributed in kind, some contributed monetarily while some simply could not be bothered.

Since the completion of the house in Tangkak, we have been hosting this ‘kurban’ event yearly. It has become a family tradition that almost everybody look forward to attend. I suppose people look forward for the togetherness this event can bring instead of the ‘kurban’ alone. It has become compulsory to buy fireworks and firecrackers when we are there. We spend thousands of Ringgit for them. We buy them discreetly of course. It is amazing how we managed to get these banned items there.

It is fun, colourful and joyful to see how everybody is so happy there. The fireworks we had are a little similar to Singapore’s national day celebration only that they are smaller and shorter in the sky. It was enough to bring smiles and laughter to everyone’s faces and enough to make my mother and I talk. Well, even though it stopped in Tangkak, I still feel blessed about it. I know I have done nothing to make her proud but I hope when the business starts, it will uplift her opinions of me. What she thinks of me matters as an ounce of blood is worth more than a pound of friendship.    

No comments:

Post a Comment