I Am Sensitive

I Am Sensitive

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

No More Night Coaches

Dear diary,

I am home in Singapore with my family at last. I am here to spend the eid with them and like usual, to help my mum with the household chores. This is what I do yearly and I have never run away from my responsibilities. Perhaps, I never got the chance to do that and that is why I never skip it. I am living overseas now but it is only Malaysia, which is just a stone throw away from Singapore and I do not see a strong and logical reason for me not to spend the eid with my family.

Like always, infinity sent me to pudu raya to take my bus and we were an hour early. There is a saying, it is better to be three hours too early than one minute too late. I guess we lived by that saying on that day. The bus journey to Singapore was fine with no major mishaps. To tell you the truth, I am quite afraid nowadays to take the coach home because of the wide media coverage on accidents that involved coaches. I know I cannot fight fate if it is really my turn to go but you know safety precautions are what I can do. I have stopped taking night coaches home. The possibility of accidents I guess is at night where it is dark and drivers have to stay awake just to get to the destination. Not only because of accidents, got my phone stolen from the coach the other night when I was on my way to Singapore. Oh, I have not told you about it, have I?

We were at Malaysia’s custom and we had to get down from the bus to get our passports stamped. I was searching for my passport and I left my phone on the seat next to me. When I found my passport, I got down leaving my phone on the seat. I was the last to get down and it was impossible to think that other passengers of the bus stole the phone. When all of us got our passports stamped, we had to wait for the bus longer than usual. It was long and I began to worry about my phone. We later found out that some thugs boarded our coach to warn the driver to disallow non-passengers of the coach to hitch a ride to the Singapore custom checkpoint. There were five of them and they threatened to beat him if he disagrees. I knew what they meant because I personally had the service of these thugs if I had left with no option. These people offer illegal taxi service to Singapore from jb with a charge. It is quite popular among Singaporeans to use their service because they send us straight to our doorsteps without hassle. When I got to my seat, I could not find my phone and I knew it then that those thugs stole my phone. It was frustrating and I promised myself not to take night coaches back to Singapore. I guessed we were all lucky because they only boarded the bus when we were not on board and they could not do us any harm. However, imagine something else that nobody wishes would happen...now that is scary. I told mum about it and she is strongly against the idea too. I take the morning or afternoon coach nowadays and I keep my personal belongings to my body.

Since my phone was gone, I have been using my old phone. I got back my contact list but most of them are not updated and I am missing some of my friends’ number. It is hard when you do not have a back up copy of your contacts. I had to wait until I get a text message or a call from them and only then, I am able to get back their number otherwise I will just have to wait. Talking about that, I have not heard any news from oldie. Her number is gone and she is not texing nor is she calling me. I don’t know how is she doing now but I hope she will keep in touch with me soon. Perhaps the same thing happens to her too and she’s also waiting for me to text or call her. That’s funny if it is true. Whatever it is, I hope she reads you someday and know that I am looking for her just to catch up on old times because she is one of the friends I have that I treasure. I hope she knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment