I Am Sensitive

I Am Sensitive

Monday, January 10, 2005

becoming jawi literate....

Last weekend was exciting and full of activities. Apart from the usual house cleaning on Saturday morning, I had my first lesson of quran reading at Darul Arqam. Initially, I was apprehensive to attend the class because I guess I got goose bumps at the last minute. This always happen to me whenever I have to go for the first day of lessons or school. I was hesitant a bit and kept having this thought to absent myself from class. Finally I gathered enough courage and went to class. I was almost late, thanks to my brother?s advice. I had to take a cab from where he dropped me off, thankfully I had withdraw enough cash to pay the taxi fare.

When I reached Darul Arqam, I had a problem finding the classroom as there was no sign to direct the students or if there was any it was not prominent. I had to ask a few staffs there and was shown to my class. When I entered, I saw 3 men and 2 women; both women were in tudung while I had nothing on my head except for my slightly spiky blonde coloured hair. I was not embarrassed by my outlook cos I knew darul arqam is meant for Muslim converts and even born Muslims who have little or zero knowledge of Islam. I signed my attendance and took a seat. Unsurprisingly, the Ustaz thought that I was a convert and he was surprised when I told him that I was a born Muslim. The class was very interactive and fun. Full of excitement and humour too. I did not feel even the slightest awkwardness and shameful to learn Jawi and I felt happy and glad I signed up for the class. I have begun to recognize all of the 28 Arabic letters and how to write them too. I am looking forward to every Saturday nowadays so that I can quickly learn to read the quran.

I met yanni and kinabalu on Sunday in JB. It was fun and noisy. It was not my first time meeting yanni but it was for kinabalu. When we met, I could sense that kinabalu was shy and felt awkward. I laughed at her clumsiness and she got even clumsier and blushed. She was funny because she tried to avoid my eye contact and in doing so, proved even more that she was shy. I teased her to my heart?s content and I knew how she hated me for that. It was fun teasing her because she is not sensitive and fragile and she can take hard and soft jokes. That?s what I like about kinabalu. I would say that we have got better acquainted with each other before we met. We often sms and chat with each other on the phone. Thus, we did not feel so lost with each other; furthermore, yanni was there to balance everything. I enjoyed the meeting and invited them to come over to Singapore. I told them that they can put up at my place if they want to. They seem interested and we went on chatting about our lives and wish. Kinabalu was not a bad looking person. She was simple but yet showed little elements of fashion from the way she wore her hair to the way she dresses. I left JB for Singapore just before Maghrib and told them to keep in touch. I supposed I will be keeping in touch with them because I believe they are good people to be friends with.

Purple chatted with me few nights ago and told me that she?s feeling down. Her ex gf has been putting her down and she felt that she was treated unfairly by her ex. I comforted her and tried to make her feel better. There are some things about purple that I am confuse like how she told me she is not looking for love anymore but simultaneously she can be a little mushy towards me. Perhaps I am just exaggerating but explain to me how can a person who does not wish to look for love can call you ?dear?, ?honey?, ?baby ? and?sayang?? She called me for almost everyday last month until she realized the phone bills have been eating into her budget. Tell me what does she mean when she sent me a sms saying she needs to hear my voice after her many calls were not answered by me? How do you explain that? I am scared actually, because as much as I want to be close to her, I also do not want her to get the wrong impression. Well, anyway, she is a nice and sweet person but I guess it is her habit for addressing people whom she knows with all those loving names. I might as well get used to it. It?s ok to be verbally intimate as long as we keep it in check on the level of intimacy and have mutual understanding on it. Anyway, she is a great person and I wish she will stay as my friend come what may.

No comments:

Post a Comment